Translate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

the ER shit show

One of my co workers once told me that since she had decided she "hated the ER", it has been easier to come to work.  I know you are probably thinking ...hey...why don't you just get another job?  Well, hours, pay, seniority, self scheduling.

Saying this sounds negative and defeatist...but maybe not? What if it says acceptance? I accept that working in the ER is often a shit show.  I'm not going to pretend it is anything else anymore. I'm not going to expect anything else. It is what it is.

You are letting go of your expectations that people will be nice to you.  You know it will be busier than shit. Accept that the ER is not set up for your convenience. Its old and shabby.  However, I chose to keeping working here for whatever reason,

Its the serenity prayer applied to ER:

God grant me the serenity
to accept that the ER is mostly a shit show
and I can't  change it
Courage to change my naive notion that it will change
And the wisdom to face reality. *


*By
the way no offense to AA or Alanon who I think all great organizations.