Translate

Thursday, April 17, 2014

a country that won't say no

I started adulthood as a bleeding heart liberal.  Then I got a job in the emergency room. I am for helping poor people.  I really am. Circumstances can cause terrible situations where people need help.

The thing is there is definitely a group of people in this country who expect to be taken care of by the government or whoever just by virtue of their existence.  These are the people who expect you to pay for their medications.  They take that free cab ride home two blocks even if they are a healthy 25 year old. They get free health care. Their care will always be paid for no matter what.  They don't have to worry about an ER co pay or their insurance company only paying 80% of their bill and they will be responsible for the bill. So they use the ER as a clinic.  There are no consequences, so why not?

I know its not easy being poor.  I grew up poor. My mother was a single parent of two kids who didn't have any higher education.  She wasn't making big money by any means. A couple of times things happened where we had to go on welfare for a little while.  She went off as soon as she could.  It was a temporary helping hand not a lifestyle.

I have a feeling that if all of this was tightened up the world would not come to an end. People would survive. They would have to do what they needed to survive whatever it took. It would take effort, but that would be good.  We are afraid to say no to people nowadays.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean you want them to contribute to their health care? How would the afford their cigarettes, drugs, and cell phones? Oh, yeah right, they don't have to pay for the cell phones- we working stiffs do.

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you on this post, friend. My husband has a high school friend who uses the ER like a walk-in clinic and it's no worry since she's on Medicaid. My blood pressure jumps 50 points when she's online.

EDNurseasauras said...

Welfare was meant to be a temporary helping hand not a life-style, nor to fund the State Supported Child Breeding Program…generation 3.